everybody has their own opinion on this, but i think ranrav hit the nail on the head here.

Originally posted by ranrav
I think this simply needs moderation (hence the moderators) to keep it from being counter-productive. Posting shedloads of GGG clips at once may end up being counter-productive in the long run (although he's gone on record as saying he's going to continue making the clips anyway, and his sites are, in my view, too expensive) but some every now and then won't harm anyone.

I think something that's been missed is that for most people leeching off the files, they simply wouldn't buy clips anyway, for varying reasons. The clips stores are not losing money from these people, they're just having people who haven't paid watching their clips. Which grates of course, I do get that, but just as bigdawg is being selfish spreading good clips over three sites (meaning you have to spend $105 a month or so to get all of them, unless there's some multi-membership deal, and even then it's very expensive), I'm going to have to be a little selfish and say that I'd like to see those clips shared from time to time.

If it was the case that most clips being made by most producers were being made available for free, then that would lead to the end of things, or at least a step backwards as they'd likely stop bothering. But if some clips are being made available (as has been the case for plenty of time, to no fanfare) then that doesn't seem to be much of a problem. The people who want the newest and the best clips end up buying them, and those who don't want to have to wait for dribs and drabs to become available.

There's no point banning torrents from here in principle. As has already been made plain above, the people sharing will share anyway, and those links will pop up elsewhere, and people will end up going there instead of here. Why split people apart in this way? Surely better to allow torrents here and moderate them, because then even if those posting unnecessary torrents post them elsewhere, the rest of the community here will be less likely to follow them to that elsewhere place.

Voting to ban torrents is just voting to make this into a problem.
the way i figure it, the webmasters have always had the option of checking this board and doing the work to have the uploading sites take down their vids and they are rewarded for actually keeping track of what's going on in the other parts of the community while simultaneously keeping the users of the board safe due to us not actually hosting the content. going to torrents puts the users in danger, goes around webmasters and no longer gives them any incentive to contribute to the community, and would sort of shrink the active portion of this community. yapyep (i believe) said that it would turn the "reup" posts into "seed" posts and it would make the clips much more short lived. if you want to seed 50 different torrents 24 hours a day then more power to you, but the majority of the board WON'T and shouldn't be expected to. uploading to a site takes an hour; seeding takes days. i vote that torrents are fine for large videos (in the gbs) and old archives, but are not fair to use for newer clips.