As always with the worldwide history of free market economics, we will respond with what is best for us. That's why I dont see such a grim future.

Do you really think the internet with "die" in 2012?

And what is exactly happening so far? These sites say all major ISP are "in talks." If they were set on doing this, then I think someone would have taken the first step by now. Look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network..._United_States

Read the intro, and read about the bills that have been introduced, and any references if you have any unanswered questions. With a democratic congress and very likely dem POTUS coming soon, it looks better and better for us. And this is also interesting:
State regulations

In the United States, New York has established net neutrality as a telecommunications standard (See 16 NYCRR Part 605).
If this stands in NY, it will stand in other states, so if you live in a blue state then the chances are pretty good that the internet will not be dead for you by 2012.

Are there other sources for this? Im not saying it's not true, but I do have some very basic questions about this:

-What is the evidence for "all ISPs around the world" being in talks and planning? Did internal memos from all the worlds ISPs leak or something? Have all ISPs CEOs said something about it? They don't have a single reference on that page.

-2012...did they just make this number up? I read these sites, and what evidence do they have that leads to 2012?

So when thinking about this whole issue, these are the basic questions we have to ask:

1. Can it happen?
2. Will it happen?
3. If it does happen, do we have alternatives?