PDA

View Full Version : WMV vs MOV

Alien_Girl
17th June 2009, 11:32 PM
On my store I have uploaded mov files but I am wondering if I should change them to wmv.
Does it make a difference?
Would you rather me upload them as wmv files for now on?
Let me know

Connect
17th June 2009, 11:46 PM
WMV is the standard format for Windows Media Player, while MOV is the standard format for Apple Quicktime. However, it should make no difference as both players are able to play eachother's formats with some minor adjustments. But if people are too lazy to google a fix for that then VLC is able to play pretty much any format under the sun. Everybody should have VLC installed as it's an extremely flexible media player with no strings attached.

I might also mention that codecs and formats are two completely different things. Formats are file types, like .jpg and .gif are to images, while codecs are programs used to compress said formats so they take less space.

princesslyne
17th June 2009, 11:51 PM
.mov files are usually HUGE too... I'd say stick with .wmv, most people prefer that. I've listed some of my clips in .mov & .wmv and the .mov's hardly sell it all.

Alien_Girl
17th June 2009, 11:52 PM
Thank you guys for the feedback. I will convert them all to wmv as soon as I get the time!

Guzara
18th June 2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Connect
WMV is the standard format for Windows Media Player, while MOV is the standard format for Apple Quicktime. However, it should make no difference as both players are able to play eachother's formats with some minor adjustments. But if people are too lazy to google a fix for that then VLC is able to play pretty much any format under the sun. Everybody should have VLC installed as it's an extremely flexible media player with no strings attached.

I might also mention that codecs and formats are two completely different things. Formats are file types, like .jpg and .gif are to images, while codecs are programs used to compress said formats so they take less space.

Can you explain difference between encoder and decoder?

Mudofale
18th June 2009, 04:47 AM
I just witnessed something that should go down in history. Two diffrent fart stores acutally said something to the other person to help her sell more clips :O i can't believe it i refuse to believe it *holds up shot gun* NO no NOOOOO! *bang*

1313Jr.1313
18th June 2009, 10:34 AM
not only that, but two different UNRELATED fart stores. it's almost as though somebody wanted somebody to realize that they are who they are and not who they aren't, but this last sentence is also unrelated to the first one about the stores being unrelated.

heptax
18th June 2009, 11:31 AM
converting drops the video quality :(