PDA

View Full Version : Jay-Z's death of auto tune

SionDS
16th June 2009, 07:14 PM
Anyone hear this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meNF7ZagM0A

I'm less interested in the song and more about what it's saying. mainstream rap has been dead in the water for the long time, and autotune has something(not everything) to do with it.

Bobba
16th June 2009, 07:36 PM
yep...he killed it... again

by the way.. Hip hop is dead... but as far as I've known "Rap" has been running strong since day one...

1313Jr.1313
17th June 2009, 09:55 AM
i could not agree that autotune is why rap's dying (hip hop too). personally, i believe that the reason that it's dying is because of its tendancy to suck (although autotune may have contributed to the tendancy for it to suck).

fartslave09
16th November 2009, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't necessarily says that all of it sucks but a lot of these new and upcoming artist rap about things that don't make any sense. I personally like rap from the 80's and 90's era, this era is dead and it has not been the same since Tupac passed away in my opinion.

footfetishguy
16th November 2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by fartslave09
I wouldn't necessarily says that all of it sucks but a lot of these new and upcoming artist rap about things that don't make any sense. I personally like rap from the 80's and 90's era, this era is dead and it has not been the same since Tupac passed away in my opinion.

QFT its mostly just garbage now and lost alot of intrest in rap

FartPallete
18th November 2009, 07:57 PM
I like some hip hop i.e cypress hill, easy e, slick rick, too short, snoop, dre, cube, even some 50.
The autotune shit is gay, but a lot of rap which made rap suck is it's pretty much all about vanity, and bragging.
money, bitches, what kind of clothes you wear.
I'm not a huge fan of rap, I am more prone to rock and punk music.
I keep an open mind to what I listen to though.

Here is my impression of a typical rap song.

check check uh huh check check uh huh whaaaat check uh huh
I got money whaaaat
I got hoooes whaaaaat
I am a man with guns uh huh whaaaat
my car is fast whaaaat
check out my gucci
yeah streeets white people are opressing me
I have a beamer whaaatt
women are just things for me to fuck uh huh
whaaat what what
(ofcourse add some recycled beats)
I'm the best rapper in the world
whaaat

yeah, I don't think I'm exaggerating too much.

smoovebrutha
19th November 2009, 04:56 AM
Auto tune is terrible. Even singers that actually have good vocal ability use it. I think it's a sell out to sell records. Artist these days have to sell out and stay with the trends because of how bad the economic state is. They have to do what's in to sell records.

Don't put everyone in that category. I've liked Jay-z from day one. He raps about what's going on in his life. A lot of his rapping is about his success, but the dude has more number one albums than Elvis (look it up). If that's not a reason to talk about it, I don't know what is. I don't listen to a lot of rappers. But there area a couple that are good.

Also saying that all rap is like that fartpallete, is like saying all punk shit is goth, and kill kill kill die die die devil cut myself commit suicide. You are exaggerating bud. There is so much rap that is not on the radio that you don't get a chance to hear it. It's called underground.

FartPallete
19th November 2009, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by smoovebrutha
Auto tune is terrible. Even singers that actually have good vocal ability use it. I think it's a sell out to sell records. Artist these days have to sell out and stay with the trends because of how bad the economic state is. They have to do what's in to sell records.

Don't put everyone in that category. I've liked Jay-z from day one. He raps about what's going on in his life. A lot of his rapping is about his success, but the dude has more number one albums than Elvis (look it up). If that's not a reason to talk about it, I don't know what is. I don't listen to a lot of rappers. But there area a couple that are good.

Also saying that all rap is like that fartpallete, is like saying all punk shit is goth, and kill kill kill die die die devil cut myself commit suicide. You are exaggerating bud. There is so much rap that is not on the radio that you don't get a chance to hear it. It's called underground.

I can go on about great underground hip hop
dj vadim, del tron, the automator, ODB, old school N.E.R.D, pharcyde, et cetera et cetera.
But this commercial shit is garbage.
there is also bullshit punk, green day, blink 182 good charlotte.
all garbage.
This was the subject of garbage hip hop.
What you say about the trendy shit and having to make money is disheartening and true. It's sad that the majority is forced to like that shit, but I guarantee if they had oportunity to hear the stuff that actually took talent to make, they would change their tune and tastes.
You can't sit there and argue with me with a straight face that most commercial rap, even some underground rap trying to sound commercial is nothing but bragging about having material shit, and how big their dick is.
To me when I hear most of this drivel I think of little kids during monday's show and tell in elementary school.
Also jay-z is ok, and yeah he may have sold more records than elvis, I like elvis but he was just standard when it came to talent, there are plenty of people who blew elvis and jay-z out of the water when it comes to talent. (maybe they didn't get as popular, but britney spears and jonas brothers has showed us that pop music is just caca, and the people who buy these albums are caca people with caca taste)
But you never seen elvis make a song about how he sold all kinds of records. bragging is what children do, and hey it's great jay-z is successful, but bragging about it in most of their songs is just obnoxious. Like they ran out of shit to say.

1313Jr.1313
19th November 2009, 08:29 AM
the boondocks put it best. ::great

footfetishguy
19th November 2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by FartPallete
I like some hip hop i.e cypress hill, easy e, slick rick, too short, snoop, dre, cube, even some 50.
The autotune shit is gay, but a lot of rap which made rap suck is it's pretty much all about vanity, and bragging.
money, bitches, what kind of clothes you wear.
I'm not a huge fan of rap, I am more prone to rock and punk music.
I keep an open mind to what I listen to though.

Here is my impression of a typical rap song.

check check uh huh check check uh huh whaaaat check uh huh
I got money whaaaat
I got hoooes whaaaaat
I am a man with guns uh huh whaaaat
my car is fast whaaaat
check out my gucci
yeah streeets white people are opressing me
I have a beamer whaaatt
women are just things for me to fuck uh huh
whaaat what what
(ofcourse add some recycled beats)
I'm the best rapper in the world
whaaat

yeah, I don't think I'm exaggerating too much.

Basically thats what it is today... and videos are all same.. girls dancing blah blah..

Hell I miss all of the sampling of Puff errm P Diddy ermm Diddy...

Gunshow
19th November 2009, 08:35 PM
Im just gonna throw out 2 names in reference to Hiphop being dead....Do with them what you like.....LUPE FIASCO & Kid Cudi..........If hip hop is dead to ash, these 2 young artist must be born of the phoenix for real.

Gunshow
19th November 2009, 08:50 PM
Oh and the only Auto Tune shyt i liked forgive me for saying this but, 808s and heartbreaks is a great album when you are feeling emo.

1313Jr.1313
20th November 2009, 12:56 PM
it's all about sonata arctica.

Mudofale
7th October 2010, 06:12 AM
Im just gonna throw out 2 names in reference to Hiphop being dead....Do with them what you like.....LUPE FIASCO & Kid Cudi..........If hip hop is dead to ash, these 2 young artist must be born of the phoenix for real.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but you hit the nail on the hammer, Kid Cudi did have one video with girls in it but it was just a joke video of what it's like to work at a store while your high and you start seeing shit lol. I thought it was hilarious.

HOOF HEARTED
10th October 2010, 10:56 AM
Basically thats what it is today... and videos are all same.. girls dancing blah blah..

Hell I miss all of the sampling of Puff errm P Diddy ermm Diddy...
:unsure I always wondered why lots of people act like Puffy was the only person to do lots of sampling? I got reasons for people not to like him, but 2pac, Mariah Carey, Dr. Dre, Will Smith, & Coolio to name a few had lots of songs that were sampled. Almost as much or barely more sampled than Puffy. Maybe peoples were jealous cause he did it the best in the 90's.
Shoot, I made a cd that 2pac's songs plus the song's he sampled or a couple of songs of artists who sampled 2pac. I know I can do that with Mariah.

SionDS
17th October 2010, 04:32 AM
I really like Kid Cudi, but I'm not so sure Id call what he does rap or hip hop.

Mudofale
17th October 2010, 06:00 AM
I really like Kid Cudi, but I'm not so sure Id call what he does rap or hip hop.
Why wouldn't you?

Gloucester
17th October 2010, 08:00 PM
Why wouldn't you?
Well, you could consider some of Kid Cudi's work to be hip-hop, but most of his work is like a mix of 2 genres, like electro-hop or alternative hip-hop. It's not straightfoward hip-hop in a way.

SionDS
19th October 2010, 06:50 PM
Why wouldn't you?

I dunno man, it's hard to describe qualities of music. I cant think of much to say other than what he does rarely sounds like what I know as rap or hip hop.

I always think that when you start talking about specifics about stuff like this, what I describe something as will be very different from how you read it. That said, in a way, I think that what Kid Cudi does is more like a very alternative type of folk music in the sense that you can chill out listening to it, and he is really good at telling some kind of story or idea with his music. I guess its just the way I've come too appreciate his stuff.

SionDS
19th October 2010, 06:55 PM
By the way, I dont even like the guy's music, but this twitter is hilarious!

http://twitter.com/50CENT

Just google "50 cent twitter" and you will find some really great quotes.

Check this out:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-wisdom-of-50-cent

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal01/2010/8/31/15/enhanced-buzz-8500-1283281834-16.jpg

Ohgrabme
10th November 2010, 09:49 PM
it's all about sonata arctica.

ive gotta thank you 1313.. one night while browsing through the forum i ended up on this thread and saw this. for shits and giggles, i looked up a song by them on youtube and ended up on "paid in full". just so happends i was/ still am going through a really really really bad break up. i lo- liked this girl alot, totally down with farting (and obviously id have hooked you guys up with some vids) but shit just went really really sour unexpectedly(reason is NOT fetish related). anyways i found myself listening to paid in full alot because it describes the whole situation down to a tee. it really helped coping.. is enspiring and just plain fucking awesome. i know this sounds really homo/faggy, or like a really bad cliche but i swear this song helped me get through dark periods these past weeks. so thanks man

1313Jr.1313
11th November 2010, 09:46 AM
paid in full is amazing. another song that may be relevant is last drop falls and in a creepy way, the end of this chapter. juliet and white pearl, black oceans are still their best songs imo. too bad finnish rock isn't big in america AT ALL and is huge in japan (for some reason [at least comparitively]). but yeah, greatest band even and i'm glad at least somebody else enjoyed their music.