PDA

View Full Version : Is farting acceptable in Japan?

m1459
19th April 2009, 02:37 AM
Is it ok for woman to fart in public in Japan? do girls fart in public often in that country?

suspect09
19th April 2009, 09:22 AM
I remember someone telling me that it isn't rude to burp or fart in Japan, but it IS rude to blow your nose in public.

Weird logic, but I'm not complaining!

ffantasy1
19th April 2009, 10:35 AM
I don't think there's any country where farting is socially acceptable in public, especially for women. Though in some European countries like Italy it's actually considered a compliment to burp after a meal; it says you enjoyed it.

While I haven't been to Japan, I remember I had a Japanese teacher in high school who lived in Tokyo for a few years and he said it's similar to the United States with stuff like social etiquette and people still think farting is gross. They may not be as upfront about it, but they still don't like it.

Another fun fact about Japan he told us was back when they were under the rule of the samurai, some people actually got executed for farting in the presence of a samurai.

SionDS
19th April 2009, 09:10 PM
edit

Nicko9y
19th April 2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by ffantasy1
I don't think there's any country where farting is socially acceptable in public, especially for women. Though in some European countries like Italy it's actually considered a compliment to burp after a meal; it says you enjoyed it.

While I haven't been to Japan, I remember I had a Japanese teacher in high school who lived in Tokyo for a few years and he said it's similar to the United States with stuff like social etiquette and people still think farting is gross. They may not be as upfront about it, but they still don't like it.

Another fun fact about Japan he told us was back when they were under the rule of the samurai, some people actually got executed for farting in the presence of a samurai.

harsh.

Connect
19th April 2009, 10:21 PM
Heck no it isn't.

Through the internet we get this impression of japan as a country full of adolescent deviants with no shame or social inhibition. This could not be further from the truth.
Japanese society is OBSESSED with keeping face. They take manners and unpoliteness extremely seriously. It's like a large scale episode of Seinfeld.
And it's this social pressure that leads to the frustration and need for escapism that spawns all the strange stuff we pick up through the internet.
Assuming all of japan is as strange as we get the impression of is like assuming all of america are rednecks.

For the record I know of this because of my japanese ex.

V_Slayer
19th April 2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by ffantasy1

Correct me if i'm wrong but i was allways assuming it was China who took burping as a compliment after a meal. Not Italy.

As for myself. I don't know if farting in Japan is "acceptable"
But either way, whatever country it is, people should'nt make such a big deal out of it. I mean, Sure, it may stink, but so does many other things and besides,
it's all natural.