PDA

View Full Version : Music Production Thread?

suspect09
27th October 2015, 10:13 PM
I really don't come here often, so apologies if this has been done.

Anybody make music? Digital, Acoustic, singer, etc.

http://i64.tinypic.com/307vnnd.jpg

here's a picture of me and my two white friends.

theguyfromny
27th October 2015, 10:55 PM
I really don't come here often, so apologies if this has been done.

Anybody make music? Digital, Acoustic, singer, etc.

http://i64.tinypic.com/307vnnd.jpg

here's a picture of me and my two white friends.

...wow you are one brave dude. I'm trying to get into it but idk how to go about doing it. the music software available tend to be kinda complex.

suspect09
28th October 2015, 12:05 AM
...wow you are one brave dude. I'm trying to get into it but idk how to go about doing it. the music software available tend to be kinda complex.

What kind of music are you trying to do?

Dildo T Baggins
28th October 2015, 12:51 AM
"Well if it's on motherfucker then it's on G
Now if it's on motherfucker than its on G"
http://i.imgur.com/VlMsLUX.gif?1

theguyfromny
28th October 2015, 04:20 AM
What kind of music are you trying to do?
rock

djfingerher
28th October 2015, 04:42 AM
nine inch nails.

I don't but my dad does and has for decades

suspect09
28th October 2015, 08:28 PM
nine inch nails.

I don't but my dad does and has for decades

I'm guessing he uses outboard analog gear?

theguyfromny
29th October 2015, 12:47 AM

see, that phrase looks like this to me.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YDwY3kgXppU/UjpipHhh_VI/AAAAAAAAArc/MPDZPTvDnyI/s1600/louvre-hieroglyph.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCOD0ht6s5sgCFQGPPgodme0Ptw&url=http%3A%2F%2Findianoceanpolish.blogspot.com%2F 2013%2F09%2Fblack-and-gold-egyptian-hieroglyphics.html&psig=AFQjCNFaDHdiFRIbxK69F8Eh4l5qNy_awQ&ust=1446162278900252)
actually nvm. I understand this better...

djfingerher
29th October 2015, 03:56 AM

lol.

Idk what exactly he uses. I know he uses pro tools though

il2f
29th October 2015, 04:29 AM
I've been A Producer For Going On 8 Years. I Use FL Studio + Mpc Element, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Yamaha Hs5's, Krk Rokit 5's, And Two Pairs Of Studio Headphones Since My Home Studio Is Untreated

Not Giving Out Personal Info Though. Could Comeback to Haunt Me.

theguyfromny
29th October 2015, 05:25 AM
I've been A Producer For Going On 8 Years. I Use FL Studio + Mpc Element, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Yamaha Hs5's, Krk Rokit 5's, And Two Pairs Of Studio Headphones Since My Home Studio Is Untreated

Not Giving Out Personal Info Though. Could Comeback to Haunt Me.
how the hell did you start? what the hell are all those things you mentioned(except the fl studio)? I don't need an instrument to use fl studio right? does it come with MIDI( which means different instrument noises right?) or do I need to dl them?

there will be more questions... I wish it was a "might" instead but I'm fairly certain that I will have more questions...sorry::sad whenever I try to get help from someone they never fail to act like this shit is first grade math and that pisses me off more than anything.

btw the only equipment I have is a Yamaha piano that I record songs on. that's all I know about producing...

il2f
29th October 2015, 06:06 AM
how the hell did you start? what the hell are all those things you mentioned(except the fl studio)? I don't need an instrument to use fl studio right? does it come with MIDI( which means different instrument noises right?) or do I need to dl them?

there will be more questions... I wish it was a "might" instead but I'm fairly certain that I will have more questions...sorry::sad whenever I try to get help from someone they never fail to act like this shit is first grade math and that pisses me off more than anything.

btw the only equipment I have is a Yamaha piano that I record songs on. that's all I know about producing...

Unfortunately Its Kind of the same process for everyone. It all looks hard, but its not as hard as it seems.

1st off, you don't have to use FL Studio, but most people, including myself, use it because its the easiest to learn. FL Studio Comes With Everything You Need To Make Beats, But The Stock Sounds Are Trash. You Have to Google search for Drums and Vsts (Virtual Instruments). Midi Mostly Refers to the Notes You Place in the Piano Roll or You Play using Hardware, such as an Mpc(Beat Machine) or a Midi Keyboard. The Yamaha HS5s and Krk Rokit 5s are both Studio Monitors Which you need a pair of your choice in order to mix your music properly (Trying to mix without them is pointless I know from experience). The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Is An Audio Interface, which is used as a Sound Driver and Is a way to Connect Studio Monitors To A PC. The Better The Interface, the better the monitors work.

suspect09
31st October 2015, 02:03 AM
see, that phrase looks like this to me.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YDwY3kgXppU/UjpipHhh_VI/AAAAAAAAArc/MPDZPTvDnyI/s1600/louvre-hieroglyph.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCOD0ht6s5sgCFQGPPgodme0Ptw&url=http%3A%2F%2Findianoceanpolish.blogspot.com%2F 2013%2F09%2Fblack-and-gold-egyptian-hieroglyphics.html&psig=AFQjCNFaDHdiFRIbxK69F8Eh4l5qNy_awQ&ust=1446162278900252)
actually nvm. I understand this better...

lmaooooo

Sorry, when I say analog I mean shit like this:

http://i68.tinypic.com/wv4odz.jpg

Actual synthesizers and FX units that you record into an interface or a console.

theguyfromny
31st October 2015, 03:06 AM
http://i68.tinypic.com/wv4odz.jpg
ugh if I walked into a studio and saw that I'd run back out crying. but hey I understood that last part!::clapp

suspect09
1st November 2015, 04:59 AM
ugh if I walked into a studio and saw that I'd run back out crying. but hey I understood that last part!::clapp

It's not as complicated as you think. Once you understand how signal flow works it's pretty straight forward. You just need the signal to get from one place to another via those patch cables (those multi colored wires).

One of my teachers explained it to me with the faucet analogy. If you're working on the pipes of your faucet, you wouldn't turn on the water and then figure out where it's going to come out of or the water will get everywhere. You make sure you understand where the water starts and where it needs to go before turning the faucet on. That is the same concept with analog equipment.

yeahyeah4590
2nd November 2015, 05:59 AM
Unfortunately Its Kind of the same process for everyone. It all looks hard, but its not as hard as it seems.

1st off, you don't have to use FL Studio, but most people, including myself, use it because its the easiest to learn. FL Studio Comes With Everything You Need To Make Beats, But The Stock Sounds Are Trash. You Have to Google search for Drums and Vsts (Virtual Instruments). Midi Mostly Refers to the Notes You Place in the Piano Roll or You Play using Hardware, such as an Mpc(Beat Machine) or a Midi Keyboard. The Yamaha HS5s and Krk Rokit 5s are both Studio Monitors Which you need a pair of your choice in order to mix your music properly (Trying to mix without them is pointless I know from experience). The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Is An Audio Interface, which is used as a Sound Driver and Is a way to Connect Studio Monitors To A PC. The Better The Interface, the better the monitors work.

I haven't been on here in a while, but I would never expect to see this thread on this forum...that said I've been producing for about 3 years on and off. ;)

Also, il2f, that is not necessarily true, the stocks sounds can be very good with processing, and you don't NEED, speakers to mix, although I would say it is recommended but I've heard a lot of good mixed songs with just headphones, preferably studio headphones though.

theguyfromny
2nd November 2015, 06:18 AM
so how should I start? should I get fl studio?

Also, il2f, that is not necessarily true, the stocks sounds can be very good with processing,
what do you mean?

il2f
2nd November 2015, 05:01 PM

what do you mean?

He Means that the stock sounds aren't as bad as I made them seem, but to each his own opinion. Most people prefer to use presets anyway.

Also, it doesnt matter what you use, it only matters how you use it.

suspect09
3rd November 2015, 11:58 AM

what do you mean?

Processing as in you can beef up stock sounds with dynamic and time based FX, like compression, EQ, distortion, reverb etc.

To be honest even though I am fastest in FL studio I kind of wish I started with a more straight forward DAW like ProTools. Most engineers in the music industry use PT. I know how to use it now but it was a major struggle at first because I was so used to FL.

il2f
3rd November 2015, 11:21 PM
Processing as in you can beef up stock sounds with dynamic and time based FX, like compression, EQ, distortion, reverb etc.

To be honest even though I am fastest in FL studio I kind of wish I started with a more straight forward DAW like ProTools. Most engineers in the music industry use PT. I know how to use it now but it was a major struggle at first because I was so used to FL.

This x 1000. And FL Studio Lacks alot of Functions Compared To Other Daws. Sometimes its so frustrating that I wanna switch to another. I'm thinking I might switch to Studio One but Idk. I have Ableton Live Lite, but I just can't find the time to learn adjust

yeahyeah4590
4th November 2015, 03:08 PM
This x 1000. And FL Studio Lacks alot of Functions Compared To Other Daws. Sometimes its so frustrating that I wanna switch to another. I'm thinking I might switch to Studio One but Idk. I have Ableton Live Lite, but I just can't find the time to learn adjust

I mean I've heard that quite a few times but is there any real legitimacy to those claims? What makes FL any less powerful than PT? It seems to have all the core features you really need to do anything.

il2f
4th November 2015, 08:33 PM
I mean I've heard that quite a few times but is there any real legitimacy to those claims? What makes FL any less powerful than PT? It seems to have all the core features you really need to do anything.

It Has What You Need, but as I've already mentioned, the stock plugins aren't nearly as good as other DAWs. They're all cheap honestly(Compared To Third Party Plugins). Along With the GUI Design, this is why FL Studio has a bad name. Most Of The Rumors About FL Studio Are Gibberish though, the industry talks down on FL because its too user friendly. Anyone can learn to use it

theguyfromny
5th November 2015, 02:45 AM
now I have music recorded on my piano so what should I do should I get an interface for the piano so I can hook it up to a cpu or should I use flstudio?

yeahyeah4590
5th November 2015, 04:20 PM
It Has What You Need, but as I've already mentioned, the stock plugins aren't nearly as good as other DAWs. They're all cheap honestly(Compared To Third Party Plugins). Along With the GUI Design, this is why FL Studio has a bad name. Most Of The Rumors About FL Studio Are Gibberish though, the industry talks down on FL because its too user friendly. Anyone can learn to use it

Yeeeah, in the industry nowadays EVERYONE and their mother is using the same plugins, so it barely matters. That said, though personal preference Sytrus is amazing when you really get into it, and FL keys with a lot of work can also sound really good. But yeah it all boils down to preference, I just hate the bad rep FL gets, I mean user friendly isn't exactly a bad thing, even if it is easy to get into, not everyone has the best ear for music. ;)

suspect09
15th November 2015, 04:38 AM
Yeeeah, in the industry nowadays EVERYONE and their mother is using the same plugins, so it barely matters. That said, though personal preference Sytrus is amazing when you really get into it, and FL keys with a lot of work can also sound really good. But yeah it all boils down to preference, I just hate the bad rep FL gets, I mean user friendly isn't exactly a bad thing, even if it is easy to get into, not everyone has the best ear for music. ;)

The thing is that the way its set up is "easy" but doesn't make sense to most people. For example with PT you can organize your tracks much easier. At my previous job I was working with as many as 40-50 tracks. I knew how to disable them all, put volume automation on a sub group and I could edit actual audio in PT so easily. I had to keep that shit organized or it was my ass, and PT makes it easy once you take the time to learn the basics.

With FL, the first thing you see is the sequencer. "Hmm, what's this". You click some dots and suddenly you have a beat going. That's really exciting, BUT, you can get side tracked very easily and not learn the fundamentals of keeping your session organized. That's what happened to me at least.

Roland
22nd December 2015, 06:31 PM
Hey, maybe I'm a little late but I produce too. I do basic stuff with FL Studio, mainly sampling: I actually write songs and make my own beats. Nothing professional, but I really enjoy making my music.

theguyfromny
23rd January 2016, 10:07 PM
so i figured out fl studio to a certain extent (i'm more used to it than PT.) and i'm pretty much learning everything on my own but i can't figure out how to get a certain echo effect for one of the instruments. i'm trying to get an echo that gradually decreases in volume with every individual echo.

scythe
24th January 2016, 06:56 PM
so i figured out fl studio to a certain extent (i'm more used to it than PT.) and i'm pretty much learning everything on my own but i can't figure out how to get a certain echo effect for one of the instruments. i'm trying to get an echo that gradually decreases in volume with every individual echo.

That's called Delay. :)

theguyfromny
24th January 2016, 10:00 PM
That's called Delay. :)

okay thanks.