PDA

View Full Version : Wireless advice

gave_u_AIDS
25th August 2007, 03:48 AM
You know how the sbc yahoo wireless router has three lights in the front? Well for a few months now when I'm not on the internet my bottom light, local network, turns on suddenly. My aunt said it was because someone was borrowing my connection. Now I'm all up for sharing but this kind of pisses me off a bit. My connection is suppose to be password protected so I don't know how they are able to tap into it. Is there a way to prevent them from tapping into it? :(

1313Jr.1313
25th August 2007, 09:47 AM
i'm guessing that you have a 2wire router. you can change the password by going to gateway.2wire.net i think, but it also depends on some other things. if there is only one computer attached to the router, then the bottom light won't be on, but if there is more than one computer attached to the router, then it will be on because it is acting not just as a modem, but as a router now (with only one comp hooked up to it, it doesn't do anything but act as a modem) is there any other computer in the house? if not then other people are accessing the router, but you have nothing to worry about. they can't put anything onto your computer like that, and if you play games or stuff like that then you won't get any delay because you are connected as the primary. if it isn't a 2wire router then my advice may not be completely right, but it should still apply.

gave_u_AIDS
25th August 2007, 05:09 PM
I have two computers attached. But wouldn't the light be on all the time instead of only once in awhile? And its not that I'm worried about people accessing my stuff or game delay, I was just curious.

1313Jr.1313
26th August 2007, 09:39 AM
are both computers always turned on?

gave_u_AIDS
27th August 2007, 04:37 AM
no

1313Jr.1313
27th August 2007, 05:31 AM
when one computer's off, then the router/modem probably doesn't see a network since it's only used for one, when both are on, check if the network light comes on.