PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive choice

Mudofale
11th July 2012, 10:10 AM
To say the least, I am a computer fanatic.

But currently I am thinking about replacing my current external drives (Two, 1 tb Sata drives) with 2 (probably two 128gb SSD.)

My question is, should I do the switch? Both drives are full (well one is at 890gb's other one is at 550 gbs) I would have to spend a few weeks sorting/ compressing/ deleting stuff I don't need.

The speed difference is massive (I currently have a internal SSD (512gb) as my main drive, and a 1 tb secondary drive). So I know for a fact the rates are well worth it.

But is it really worth the money to make this switch?

1313Jr.1313
12th July 2012, 09:08 AM
it honestly depends on what you are using them for. if it's exclusively backup then don't bother and if you're running off of them then you should just dump the relevant stuff to your main drive. what purpose would upgrading them serve you?

HOOF HEARTED
13th July 2012, 04:58 AM
I'd like 2 have a 1 or 2TB hard drive myself. If you got that much & still wanna download, it looks like time to minus the stuff you don't like. You got that much gb's in fart clips?

Mudofale
13th July 2012, 05:27 AM
it honestly depends on what you are using them for. if it's exclusively backup then don't bother and if you're running off of them then you should just dump the relevant stuff to your main drive. what purpose would upgrading them serve you?
Well currently I use the drives for everything, I don't boot off them or use them for running programs (wouldn't make much sense with a SSD in my case) but I do transfer files on and off them pretty frequently. But you do make a valid point, I was just going to use it for when im away from my house and needed a drive that wasn't slow. Ill hold out for now until they reduce the prices at least. Probably a few years, not really in a rush just annoyed when I go somewhere and go to move some files and I have to wait like 10 minutes to move like a few gigs.

I'd like 2 have a 1 or 2TB hard drive myself. If you got that much & still wanna download, it looks like time to minus the stuff you don't like. You got that much gb's in fart clips?

Nah, I only have like 110 gigs of fart clips. But, I do download a lot of stuff pretty frequently. I also put my DvD's on my external drives so I can have them anywhere. And since im in school currently (summer break right now) I use them for school books (cheaper then a hard back) and documents which starts to add up over time pretty quickly. Im also a file hoarder, I have stuff on my drives from 3rd grade - 12th. I just like going back and looking at my old work and laughing at how poor my grammar was and how crazy my reports were.

Guzara
20th July 2012, 09:41 PM
Anyway, How are HDD prices now in USA?

Here in Europe are almost 2 years more expensive then before, they say reason are floods in Taiwan

Mudofale
23rd July 2012, 10:45 AM
Anyway, How are HDD prices now in USA?

Here in Europe are almost 2 years more expensive then before, they say reason are floods in Taiwan

Currently they are adjusting, they were pretty high last year though. Not sure as to the exact reason, but I went to replace one for my aunt and it was like 100 something dollars on black friday for a 1tb drive. Which I was expecting ti to be around 75-85.

HOOF HEARTED
23rd August 2012, 09:38 AM
Dang MOA, I wish I had given you this tigerdirect.com link where you coulda gotten a seagate 3TB EXT. HD for $119.99 2 weeks ago. That's what I did ::happy Special price is over. It workds good.

skuludo
23rd August 2012, 10:22 AM
The Taiwan flood raised the prices on hard drives. The prices are starting to come down, but haven't reached the low prices like before.

SSD prices have gone down now with prices of less than $1/GB.

If you just use a drive for storage then I suggest Western Digital Green drives. Use Western Digital Black if you need more speed, but these drives are sort of loud and run kind of hot. If speed is important you can shortstroke the drives or RAID them.
The drive that you take with you needs to be able to keep up with your storage hard drives, otherwise your slowest drive will be a bottleneck. USB3.0 will allow your mechanical drives to run at similar speeds to internal storage interface like SATA 6. So far the external drives I've seen in most big box stores are using hard drives similar to the Western Digital Green drives, which spin at 5200rpm.

Guzara
24th August 2012, 11:07 PM
yea, I use SSD 120 GB in my desktop pc , it's really great way of speeding up your new but also old pc. The price is really expensive but worth if you don't have a lot of data.

All those dual core processors with ~4 GB ram were "lazy" waiting data to be sent from slow HDDs, but with SSD my core2duo was finally used like it should be with 80% - 100 % power .::funny

HOOF HEARTED
27th September 2012, 12:13 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/WEM3273.asp?SRCCODE=WEM3273TT&cm_mmc=EML-_-Main-_-WEM3273-_-tigeremail3273&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3273&[email protected]

Anybody who wants a 3TB HD seagate should get this from this link above by 9pm pacific for $119.99 8/27. I got this the last time it was out & was a smart thing for me to do.